Add a variable for the Current Map to R6:Siege game events

Feature description

Add a new Info Update to the Rainbow Six: Siege API that provides the name of the map that is currently being played.

Current workaround

There is currently no way of automatically detecting this, with the current information provided. I’m asking my users to manually provide the information by way of an unobtrusive pop-up. But obviously this isn’t an ideal solution.

Implementation recommendation

Could be an additional variable added to the match_info info updates. So aside from the pseudo_match_id and game_mode you have a current_map. Thus:

{"info":{"match_info":{"current_map":"THE_CURRENT_MAP"}},"feature":"match_info"}

Technical recommendation

The information becomes available in-game at the same time as your current pseudo_match_id event triggers. It’s a string in the UI that could probably be read from running memory:

OUTBACK is the map-name here, with BOMB being the gamemode, and Day being the variant of the map. The variant is always day, as Ubisoft discontinued the night variants of maps at the end of last year.

Alternatively, the map-name could be pulled during the loading-phase from the UI here:

Feature potential

There is massive potential here.

Knowing the current map can be used for all kinds of potential app ideas and feature additions.

Some off the top of my head:

• Strategy recommendations
  • Operator recommendations
  • Banning recommendations
  • Showing floor plans
  • Statistics tracking per map (my current implementation)

Furthermore, Ubisoft announced during the Operator Void Edge reveal, that they will implement Map Banning later this year. They reiterated this in an update just earlier today; That it is ‘coming soon’. Current expectation is that it will arrive around October 2020. It’d be awesome to have the ability to track map data before Map Banning becomes a thing in the game.

Possibility of exploiting

None. What map you are playing on, is completely obvious information for all players in the match. It’s clearly communicated from the very first second of the match, so there is no chance of any ‘unfair advantage’ of any kind.

@eransharv You didn’t ask for this topic, but just in case:

The rating for this FR for my app is low.

I have the feature already implemented, but with the user having to manually enter the data.
It’s only a single pop-up question per match, so most users leave it enabled.

However, I’m also guessing this would likely be by far the easiest of my FRs to implement quickly, from your developers’ point of view.

Add to that the ‘Map Banning’ feature coming soon to R6, and this could be a very nice additional event to implement for R6!

1 Like

@Bl0n thanks for the info. we will discuss that internally and let you know.

@Bl0n Hi, I push it into our backlog. So we will implement it, but no ETA for that yet.
I willl keep you updated, but it might take some time.

Thanks!

Cool! Thanks for the update.

@eransharv

The new season of Siege will arrive in approx. 1-3 weeks.
With the new season “Map Banning” will arrive into the game.

I believe my app can provide a lot of added value in this new phase of the game.
It makes my FR for tracking Maps automatically a bit more important though.
So I’m upgrading my rating for this FR for my app from low to mid.

Somewhat unrelated:
The work that’s going to be required to make the GEP work with the new season, might also be a good timing for you guys to take a fresh look at the phase events of the game.

These are rather lacking at the moment.

• We could really use a matchStart and matchEnd as requested by @shir.brass here.
  • It’d be great to have a operator_banning phase.
  • And for the new season the map_banning phase, ideally with a variable exposing which three randomly selected maps can be voted on.
  • For Custom Matches specifically, there’s also a sixth_pick phase after each operator_select.

Let me know if you need more info on any of this!

1 Like

@Bl0n Thanks for the heads-up. We will discuss that internally, and we will keep you updated.

I just want to confirm the below, to make some order in the request

highest priority

mid

low (all these FR’s are totally new requests)

• add operator_banning phase
  • for the new season the map_banning phase, ideally with a variable exposing which three randomly selected maps can be voted on.
  • For Custom Matches specifically, there’s also a sixth_pick phase after each operator_select .

Please confirm @Bl0n

I’m not sure what the “Current game mode” thing is.
(I don’t have access to the monday board.)

But the rest looks like in the correct order, yeah.

@Bl0n Sorry about that, I added the internal links of the FRs (on Monday ) instead of the external. I fixed that. And now you can see the original FRS.

Anyway, thanks, now I have all the info. We discuss that internally and let you know.
BTW I might ask you to create a sepetate ticket for the new FRs (all the FRs that I marked as low priority). I will update.

Thanks

@Bl0n A few updates:

• matchStart and matchEnd on our list for this week - hopefully…
  • game mode - already available.
  • map - on our list. No ETA. hopefully soon.
  • the rest (operator_banning, map_banning, sixth_pick) - I pushed it to our backlog, in a low priority.
1 Like

Hi @eransharv!
Are there any approximate dates when the map name will be added?

@LionsGate, checking.

1 Like

Hi @eransharv,

any update on this issue?

The chosen map feature counts as a High Priority feature for my App. Currently I am asking the users to select the map that has been chosen in the game which is not really user friendly and error prone to wrong selections.

Regards,

Gotchar

I will discuss that internally and let you know this week.

Thanks for your patience.

@LionsGate @Gotchar @Bl0n This feature is one of the next features that we will implement very soon.
ETA for release: 2-3 weeks.

1 Like