[StarCraft 2] match_start not triggered on match start

Related Games: StarCraft 2

Related app/team name (not a must if you want to keep it private): Spawning Tool Build Advisor

Issue Description: We use the match_start API to detect when the game has begun so we can sync the timer for the build order steps. Over the past 6 months or so, we have regularly received reports from our users that the timer isn’t starting as expected.

Steps to reproduce: Unknown. We have witnessed it happen, but it’s hard to diagnose since there are no logs associated with something not happening (if that makes sense). It seems to work and stop working seemingly randomly. Along those lines, our users have reported a variety of totally crazy ways of fixing it, but it doesn’t reliably work for all users, so I suspect it is false causation.

Impact for my app: high

Do you currently have a workaround? Yes. The timer can be started manually, but users do complain about it since it is another thing to do when the game starts =)

I did the other thread about match_start, so I understand if it’s not a priority, but I did want to make sure this was logged since we hear about it so frequently.

Hi @StoicLoofah,

1. You mentioned “other thread” about it. Can you please add a link to that thread or clarify?
  2. Your logs are important, as, from them, I can see if the match_start event was triggered or not. Can you please try to reproduce it and send me your logs? or get the logs from a user complaining about it? And of course, don’t forget to mention the time and data to track it in the log.

Thanks

1. Right, I was referencing this thread.
  2. I’ll see what logs I can produce for you when someone complains about the issue again, but as you might suspect, there’s not much to see because the event isn’t being triggered.

Thanks!

This is exactly what i want to check. If the event is logged or not :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m closing the ticket now because it’s open; it always popup for me.
If you have any info/logs in the future, mention me here, and I’ll reopen the ticket.

Thanks

@eransharv Sorry for the long delay in following up here but I have some logs for 2 slightly different cases where the triggers weren’t working. I dropped READMEs into both zip files to explain roughly what I saw in them. The no_event one was a user report, and the no_trigger was myself trying to reproduce it and having mixed success. They appear to be somewhat different issues. Let me know if I can provide any other info!

OverwolfLogs_2021-02-17_08-15-37_no_event.zip (1.4 MB)
OverwolfLogs_StarCraft_event_no_trigger.zip (340.6 KB)

@StoicLoofah , Let me discuss that with the team and get back to you.

Hi.

When we tried it from our test machine, it was working.
Unfortunately, without steps to reproduce, it will be hard to move forward with this.

Thanks.

Totally understand. This has been a lingering problem for months because we haven’t figured out a good way to reproduce it. I’ll let you know if we figure anything out, but for now, it’s probably most important that we have this logged. Thanks for taking a look!

1 Like