World of Warcraft: Add Region, Server, and CharacterID when joining group

• Feature Description: Add 1) Region, 2) Realm Name, and 3) Character ID to all character data
  • impact for my app: show-stopper!
  • What is your current pain point? Since Character names are not unique across Realms, let alone Regions, we need to that information for each character. Character ID may be unique, but we allow our users to search for characters based on name (not ID of course), and thus need to have that information to store with our app data.
  • What do you have in mind to solve it? On game events involving players (you and other players)- add that information as a standard dataset to your payloads.

Thank you!!!

Hi, and thanks for the feedback.

Just saying for the next time: if you have three different feature requests for the same game - you can “combine” them in one ticket. Easier to manage…

Anyway, we will discuss the matter internally, and then we’ll make a decision.

Usually, it takes a few days. We will update you here.

Thanks.

Got it! Will do for next time. Thanks guys.

@thundley
do you mean adding this data to the group_applicants info-update?
https://overwolf.github.io/docs/api/overwolf-games-events-wow#game_info

Hey @itayG. Yes. As a blanket request, our app is going to need to uniquely identify the character you are playing in WoW as well as any characters joining a group with you (or that you join). So all character identification should have those data points (both your character and others). The group_applicants data is a great place to start. As you start adding other events from WoW, I’d ask that add those identification points anywhere a character is identified. Consider that WoW allows for players to group up across realms and that character name is only unique to the realms, it’s going to be important for all WoW OW developers to have a way to uniquely identify characters in their apps in all events. If Blizzard exposes a unique character ID like a UUID/GUID, that is super helpful, but we’re still going to need to know what region/realm they are from.

Thanks!
Tom

OK, I understand. We’ll add this request to our backlog.
I assume that we’ll start working on WoW events again during Oct-Nov 2020